Whether you’re a family of serious basketball players looking for a new basketball hoop, have a teen who loves to show off their skills at home, want some friendly competition when you play basketball or want to practice your slam dunk on a regulation hoop, we’re here to help you decide on the perfect basketball hoop for you and yours.
This comprehensive guide is here to tell you everything there is to know about choosing the best one.
From choosing between adjustable and fixed heights, safety considerations when mounting/installing your new hoop, plus which ones are worth buying and why.
We outline features like adjustability, rim size, backboard padding and installation process.
All of this information will help ensure that you make the right choice so that everyone in your home can enjoy hours of fun with a durable rim and base.
- An Overview
- What to consider before buying
- Court dimensions
- How to Install
- Support Pole
- Backboard Size
- Backboard materials
- Best In Ground Basketball Hoop
- The Basketball Hoops
Basketball enthusiasts who want to take their game to the next level need to invest in a high-quality in-ground basketball hoop. With so many options available, it can be difficult to choose the best one.
That’s why we’ve compiled an overview of the top in-ground basketball hoops of 2023. Each of these hoops offers exceptional durability, stability, and performance.
What to consider before buying
Before purchasing an in-ground basketball hoop, there are several factors that should be taken into consideration.
- 1) Think about the available space in your yard to ensure that the hoop will fit comfortably and not interfere with other activities.
- 2)Consider the height of the hoop and adjust according to the age and skill level of those who will be using it.
- 3)The quality and durability of the materials used in the construction of the hoop should also be evaluated to ensure that it will withstand the elements and last through usage.
- 4)Set a budget for the purchase to avoid overspending while still ensuring that the hoop meets your needs and requirements.
Is it Legal
Before installing your basketball hoop, it’s crucial to ensure you’re legally allowed to do so. It’s not uncommon for Homeowner Associations or municipalities to have strict regulations regarding “unsightly nuisances”.
The last thing you want is to install a pricey basketball hoop, only to have to take it down.
If permanent basketball hoops aren’t permitted, take a look at my article that covers portable basketball hoops.
If you’re considering a permanent basketball hoop, bear in mind that the goal post requires a hole that’s typically 48 inches deep.
Be sure to check for underground utility lines first to ensure you don’t mistakenly dig into them too.
I learned that before installing a basketball hoop, I should measure the area where I want to put it.
Even though a regulation NBA basketball half-court is 50ft x 47ft (50ft x 42ft for high school), it’s not necessary for me to make my court that big.
According to the recommendation, a typical overhang of 2ft and another 2ft of clearance behind the hoop for height adjustment would be fine.
Also, I realized that the distance of the high school 3-point line is 19.9, a court approximately 27 feet long will provide at least 3 feet space behind the three-point line.
For those who have limited space to set up a basketball court, choosing a smaller hoop with less overhang with a smaller backboard may be the best option.
This would prevent the court from appearing smaller and keeping the dimensions within the range of a typical basketball court.
When looking for the perfect in-ground basketball hoop within your budget, there are several factors to consider. The size and material of the hoop, as well as any additional features such as adjustable height and rim sizes, will have an impact on the total cost.
For example, those who want an affordable yet durable hoop may opt for a classic steel model. This option is strong enough to stand up to regular use and can be easily adjusted for growth or skill level.
Some more expensive hoops feature high-tensile aluminum frames which provide improved stability and performance.
If you prefer a more customizable experience, modular hoops come with adjustable heights ranging from seven feet all the way to ten feet tall. While acrylic backboards provide increased bounce so you can practice your layups just like the pros.
Lastly, keep in mind that some products offer additional features such as weatherproof materials or shatterproof rims that can help extend their lifespan or improve playability respectively, making them worth the extra cost.
When it comes to choosing the right material for an in-ground basketball hoop, you’ll want to consider durability, stability, and performance.
One popular option is tempered glass, which provides a professional look and excellent rebounding. It’s also highly durable, able to withstand harsh weather conditions and rough gameplay.
Another option is acrylic, which is more affordable and lightweight but doesn’t match the performance of tempered glass.
For those on a tight budget, polyethylene backboards are a viable option. Although, they may not last as long as more premium materials.
Ultimately, the material choice you make will depend on your needs and preferences. Whatever you end up buying, any high-quality material will bring years of fun and competition to your driveway or backyard.
Playing basketball is a fun outdoor activity that can be enjoyed year-round, but adverse weather conditions can make it difficult to play your best.
That’s where weatherproofing comes in. Protecting your in-ground basketball hoop from the elements is a smart investment that will prevent rust and extend its lifespan.
There are a variety of weatherproofing methods to consider, including rust inhibitors, sealants and covers.
With a little bit of care and upkeep, your in-ground basketball hoop can be an outdoor oasis of fun for years to come.
How to Install
Looking to bring a little more athleticism to your backyard? Installing an in-ground basketball hoop is a great way to do it.
The process may seem daunting at first but with a little bit of know-how, it can be a breeze.
Start by selecting the right spot for your hoop, making sure it’s level and clear of any potential obstructions.
Then, simply dig your hole, install the pole, pour your concrete, and attach the backboard and rim. With some patience and elbow grease, you’ll have a top-quality basketball hoop that will provide hours of fun for you and your family.
Choosing the right spot in your yard
When it comes to setting up a basketball hoop in your yard, choosing the right spot is essential. The first thing to consider is the playing surface.
Ideally, you want a flat, level area that is free of obstructions like trees or large rocks. Having enough space is also important. You’ll need enough room for players to move around freely and for jump shots to be taken without worrying about hitting nearby objects.
You also want to consider the placement of the hoop itself.
You’ll want it to be at an appropriate height for the age and skill level of the players using it.
When installing the support pole, digging the hole for it is a crucial step. The depth and width of the hole will depend on the size and weight of the pole.
It is important to make sure that the hole is deep enough to provide a stable foundation but not too deep that it compromises the overall stability of the hoop.
48 inches is usually the magic number.
Proper measurements should be taken and the ground should be leveled before digging. Keeping the hole clean and free of debris will ensure that the pole remains secure and upright.
The hole should also be wide enough to allow for concrete to be poured and set around the base of the pole, providing extra support.
When you’re looking for a basketball hoop, you want to make sure the support pole is solid and keeps the hoop stable.
A cheaper hoop might come with multiple pieces for the pole and you’ll have to dig a hole and concrete it in. It can be difficult to make sure the pole is perfectly straight, so be careful during installation.
If you want to spend more money, you can get a hoop with an anchor kit. All in-ground basketball hoops need a 48″ hole for this kind of kit.
You’ll have to use 8-25 bags (80lbs) of concrete to install it. One good thing is that you can adjust the backboard later by tweaking the nuts under the anchor plate.
Support Pole thickness
To ensure a stable playing experience while shooting hoops, a strong and sturdy support pole is essential. Cheaper hoops usually come with thinner support poles, which lack the stability required for a professional playing experience.
The top-of-the-line hoop, boasts a massive 6″x6″ support pole. It provides the required stability to support its heavy 72-inch tempered glass backboard. With this kind of support pole, you can avoid wobbling.
Many in-ground basketball hoops today are adjustable down to 7.5 feet. This is mostly for little kids that can’t reach the rim otherwise.
If this isn’t needed, go with a fixed height hoop because the height adjustment mechanic is a source of instability. Your basketball hoop will function better without this option.
The regulation backboard dimensions used in the NBA and NCAA are 72 inches in width and 42 inches in height. These backboards are heavy and expensive and are usually reserved for the most professional basketball hoops.
More affordable basketball hoops start with a backboard size that’s 48 inches in width. However, the most common sizes are 54 or 60 inches.
These dimensions provide you with enough space for layups and bank shots. The official regulation backboard size is a dimension of 72 inches, these are usually preferred by advanced basketball enthusiasts.
Let’s take a look at the different types of frame material available for in-ground hoops.The frame material you choose is better/worse, expensive or cheaper depending if you choose Polycarbonate, acrylic or tempered glass backboards.
If you constantly practice angled bank shots, you’d want something like 60″ tempered glass boards.
Entry-level backboards are frequently constructed using Polycarbonate, a lightweight and sturdy material.
Polycarbonate’s softness and low density doesn’t offer an ideal rebound response. Especially if you are accustomed to high-end indoor hoops. It also has the tendency to discolor and turn yellow with prolonged sun exposure.
Basketball enthusiasts often wonder about the difference in backboard material between acrylic and tempered glass. Acrylic backboards are an attractive choice, as they offer a professional look because of their transparency.
They weigh significantly less than tempered glass, making them more popular with basketball hoops found within the moderate price range.
Acrylic is softer than tempered glass and prone to scratches over time, spoiling its appearance.
An Acrylic backboard doesn’t require a sturdy support structure due to its lack of weight. However, it’s more susceptible to wind and has only an average rebound response.
If you’re looking for a professional look, go for acrylic backboards. Keep in mind that with time they may pick up scratches though.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a more stable and sturdy option and can afford it, then tempered glass backboards are the way to go.
Choosing the right basketball backboard material is crucial; playing on a good-quality backboard can completely change your feel for the game. This is why professionals choose backboards made of tempered glass.
Tempered glass is scratch-resistant, hard to break and ensures the best rebound response. Even after years of use, there will be no discoloration.
Although tempered glass is heavier than its alternatives, moderately priced hoops often use relatively thin layers of glass (1/4′). It’s important to note that the best hoops feature glass backboards that are up to twice as thick.
For the best playing experience, consider a 72-inch wide backboard, which can weigh over 100lbs and is completely unfazed by the impact of a basketball.
NBA basketball courts have specific measurements between the baseline and backboard defined as 4 feet. This is to ensure players can safely attack the rim and dribble under the basket, while avoiding the support pole.
But if you want to replicate this same experience on your personal in-ground basketball hoop, you’ll need one with a large overhang.
While the Lifetime 90020 may be a cheaper option, it only offers a relatively small 22″ overhang. This can actually be advantageous if you have a smaller driveway that would benefit from space-saving features.
If you’re serious about recreating the feel of an official NBA game though, it’s worth investing in a heavier, more expensive hoop that offers up to 4 feet of overhang.
This way, you’ll be able to take advantage of the space under the basket for those reverse layups while still having the stability you need. Ultimately, the hoop you choose is based on your personal needs, so consider the advantages and drawbacks during your selection process.
Best In Ground Basketball Hoop
The best basketball hoops of 2023 offer a great way to improve your game with a higher quality set-up than you can find on portable hoops.
I hope this helps you make an informed decision when choosing the best hoop.
|Basketball Hoop||Backboard Size||Backboard Material||Support Pole|
|Lifetime 90020||48 inches||Polycarbonate||3.5″ round|
|Lifetime 71525||54 inches||Polycarbonate||3.5″ round|
|Dominator Premium||72 inches||Tempered Glass||7″ x 7″|
|Goalrilla GS 54||60 inches||1/4″ Tempered Glass||5″ x 5″|
|Silverback 60||60 inches||5/16″ Tempered Glass||4″ x 4″|
|Silverback 54||54 inches||3/8″ Tempered Glass||6″ x 6″|
The Basketball Hoops
The Lifetime 90020 in-ground basketball hoop is a sturdy and reliable choice for any bac
- The Lifetime 90020 in-ground basketball hoop is sturdy and reliable, ideal for any backyard court.
- Offers high performance at an affordable cost.
- Made from high-grade steel and aluminum for maximum stability during gameplay.
- Features a one-piece 3.5 round pole design to reduce movement for better shooting accuracy.
- Black steel pole and pole pad. Five year limited lifetime warranty.
- Shatterproof backboard provides superior rigidity and strength for long-lasting play.
- Height adjustment mechanism from 7 to 10 feet – for all ages.
- FlexGoal height adjustment system allows rim adjustment from inside or outside the court.
- Dual compression springs provide extra cushion protection for higher level dunks or layups.
- Top-notch construction quality with all components well constructed and expertly crafted.
- Easy to assemble with basic tools and comes with clear installation instructions, eliminating the need for professional services or extra equipment.
- Its key feature is a larger 54-inch backboard for easier bank shots and layups.
- The backboard is made from durable Polycarbonate material and has a steel frame with a 22-inch overhang.
- The support pole is 3.5 inches thick, ensuring stability during play.
- The advanced height mechanism allows precise changes in height from 7.5 to 10 feet via a power lift pole mechanism.
- The height adjustment feature can be operated by young kids.
- While the hoop is durable and has a larger backboard, the polycarbonate backboard might not provide as good a bounce as glass backboards.
- The installation process can be challenging for those unfamiliar with in-ground hoop assembly.
- Despite minor drawbacks, this high quality basketball hoop offers excellent value for money due to its durability and innovative features.
- Final recommendation: The Lifetime 71525 is a fantastic option for any basketball enthusiast and is worth considering despite the effort required for installation.
- The Dominator Premium Basketball Hoop is designed for home driveways, backyards, and playgrounds.
- It features a rust-proof all-aluminum frame for durability and longevity.
- The model boasts a 72″ backboard with a 4′ overhang, meeting NBA/NCAA regulation standards.
- The backboard is made of tempered glass, offering superior rebound.
- The hoop has a height adjustment mechanism, ranging from 7 to 10 feet.
- Positives include high-quality playability, robust sturdy build and rust resistance.
- Installation can be labor-intensive as it requires concrete mixing and curing.
- The hoop’s high-quality features come at a higher cost compared to other models.
- Despite the higher price, this dominator hoop offers excellent value due to its exceptional build quality, durability, and professional-grade features.
- Final recommendation: The Dominator Premium is a worthwhile investment for serious basketball enthusiasts looking for a premium, in- ground hoop for their home.
- PREMIUM NBA/NCAA GOAL QUALITY: The Dominator 72" Hoop is unmatched in quality and playability. From the 72" backboard and 4' overhang to the tempered glass backboard, this goal has been designed to replicate an NBA/NCAA Regulation Basketball Hoop
- COMPLETELY RUST-PROOF STRUCTURE: Made of 6061 T6 Aluminum, making the Dominator goal structure completely rust proof which means it will last longer than any other basketball hoop out there.
- EASY ADJUSTABILITY: The unique adjustment design of the Dominator Hoop makes it easy to raise and lower the hoop. The best part is that in just 7 cranks, you can go from 7 ft - 10 ft!
- EASY ASSEMBLY: The Dominator takes less than an hour to completely assemble. Once the anchor is set in concrete, the assembly is a breeze. With only 4 pieces for assembly (Main Post, Overhang Arm, Backboard, and Rim) this is the easiest premium basketball goal to assemble
- BACKED BY LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY - Any manufacturer defect is immediately addressed by our inhouse team to ensure that you have the best experience while playing basketball
Goalrilla GS54 w/ Anchor Kit
The GOALRILLA GS54 W/ ANCHOR KIT is a professional-grade basketball system designed for home use.
- Features a pro-style breakaway rim that flexes under pressure for a realistic playing experience.
- The 54-inch backboard is made from clearview tempered glass, providing a consistent rebounding experience.
- Adjustable height mechanism can be modified from 7.5′ to 10′, making it suitable for all ages and skill levels.
- Includes a 9” extremely stable anchor kit for stability and easy leveling.
- Positives include durability, sturdiness, and superior rebounding from the tempered glass backboard and solid steel support pole.
- Installation can be labor-intensive, requiring a hole size of 16 inches in diameter and 48 inches deep.
- This basketball hoops high-quality setup comes at a premium price point.
- Despite the higher cost, it offers excellent value due to its professional-grade features and build quality.
- Final recommendation: Worth considering for serious basketball enthusiasts looking for a gym-like experience at home, despite the installation effort and higher price.
- The Silverback 60″ Basketball Hoop is a professional-grade outdoor basketball system intended for home use.
- It features a large 60″ x 33″ backboard made from 5/16″ thick tempered glass, ensuring excellent rebound performance.
- The hoop stands on a robust 4″ x 4″ support pole and has a 2.5′ overhang.
- It includes an anchor mounting system, allowing the possibility to relocate the goal.
- A standout feature is its crank actuator, which adjusts the goal height from 10 feet (NBA and NCAA regulation) to a safety-approved 7.5 feet, catering to all ages and skill levels.
- On the positive side, the Silverback 60″ excels in durability, sturdiness, and playability, with a superior bounce from the tempered glass backboard and a reliable adjustable height mechanism.
- On the downside, installation can be labor-intensive and may require professional assistance. While the goal can be moved thanks to the anchor system, this process is not straightforward and requires significant effort.
- Despite these minor drawbacks, the Silverback 60″ provides excellent value for money with its high-quality construction, professional-grade features, and adjustability.
- Final recommendation: Despite the installation effort, the Silverback 60″ Basketball Hoop is a great choice for basketball enthusiasts in need of a high-quality, durable, and adjustable home hoop. Its superior playing experience makes it a strong contender.
- PRO-STYLE LOOK AND PERFORMANCE — Premier in-ground basketball goal offers the performance of gymnasium-style goal
- OPTION TO UNBOLT AND MOVE GOAL — Anchor mounting offers the strength of concrete and the option to unbolt and move goal. Anchor Kit included.
- RIM FLEXES UNDER PRESSURE — Tempered glass backboard and pro-style breakaway rim that flexes under pressure
- POWDER-COATED PROTECTION — Powder-coated steel pole height adjusts from 7.5' to 10' with all-steel actuator
- LIMITED WARRANTY — Product is backed by a 5-year limited warranty and includes backboard pad and pole pad
- ARENA-STYLE PERFORMANCE - Premier in-ground basketball goal directly installs into ground and secured by concrete
- FLEXES UNDER PRESSURE - Tempered glass backboard and pro-style breakaway rim that flexes under pressure.Clean backboard using a100% Cotton soft cloth and glass cleaner
- HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE - Powder-coated steel pole height adjusts from 7.5 to 10 with all-steel actuator
- POLE AND BACKBOARD PADDING - Includes pole and backboard pad for protection during lay-ups and rough play. Backboard Material-Polyethylene